Thursday, August 21, 2008

Izzy Goes To School

Well, today was the day. Isabelle Stephenson is officially a Pre-Kindergartener. She cried immediately upon Momma waking her up, "I don't want to go to school." That's funny, that's all you've been talking about for months. She didn't eat much breakfast, butterflies in her tummy, she said. Then some how, some way, she pulled herself together and managed to get halfway excited. I load them up in the van, and off we go. "Momma, will you come to the classroom with me?" Of course, I reassured her. Just remember, Momma will walk you to the classroom, help you hang your backpack, put your lunch in your cubby, and then it will be time for me to go. Ok, she agrees. We walk past the playground, I remind her how she will finally get to play on it. We reach the door, Momma gets a quick picture, and then in we go. Her apple print backpack from Gymboree is hung, her matching lunchbox placed in her cubby. She remembers she has her blankie in the backpack, "can I have it at naptime?" "Of course," says Miss Emiley. Momma leads her to the puzzle table where Izzy's little friend Madisyn is waiting. They greet each other shyly, it's been a few months since they last saw each other. Then Madisyn says quietly, "Will you be my friend again?" Isabelle lights up, nods her head quickly, and SMILES! In my mind, this is the time. "Bye, sweetie. I'll pick you up on the sidewalk after school." She nods again, quietly this time, Miss Emiley takes her hand and leads her to the other side of the table. I walk to the door, turn and blow her a kiss, she watches closely. Then just like that, the door is closed and she is gone. A school girl in the making.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Awwww, I got goosebumps just thinking about it! I don't even want to imagine how much I'm going to have to contain my emotions when I drop off Sean Patrick for the first time. Lawd, my heart just skipped a beat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this post just makes me a pool of chocolate puddin'. I'm all teary-eyed after reading it. So sweet, and yet, SO SAD! Waah! I think I WILL go eat some chocolate puddin! (If only there were some in the house!)

    ReplyDelete