Sunday, July 6, 2008

For De Grande

Yes, seeing is believing. I finally found the box of sea glass I was looking for (my darling husband had stashed it in the garage under some clam bags). I finally found the covered AND footed jar I wanted. I finally took a picture. And now I'm finally sending it your way.

For those of you not in the know, my sister Laura (Laurbs, Laurbeebs, De Grande) is an avid sea glass collector. As such, she has turned me into one as well. Problem is, ain't no sea glass here, just broken beer bottles. And there ain't no surf to tumble those into something pretty nohow. Anyway, Laura has been providing me with great quantities of sea glass, sending me on the quest of finding the proper vessel to display them in. Well, Crate and Barrel came through. Here are the results.

The starfish are just temporary, they are going up in my transom windows...


Oh, the pretty colors--brown, green, white, icy blue, and pretty rocks in a coral-y color that I just love in there.


The most amazing thing, is the colors of the glass are the very colors in the only piece of fine art that I own! It is a painting my Shawn Uncle Francis, who is an artist out in Santa Fe. The scene is from an early morning in Puerto Rico. It was a wedding gift from him and one of our most prized possessions. We can't decide whether to hang it on the fireplace stone, or lean it as seen here. So for now, it's leaning. And it's leaning right next to the large jar of sea glass to complement it!

That's Shawn's famous sawfish off to the right there, I want it mounted up there at some point, gotta wait till we figure it all out, arrangement wise.

This Blog is Dedicated to De Grande, on Sunday, July 6, at 12 noon. And well before the deadline.
:)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. YEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!

    Thank you thank You Thank You!

    How exciting to see the seaglass in action!


    I'm so pleased! And happy! And excited!

    And way to go, Sarah, on your first mater! Mine don't look nearly as lovely as yourn!
    Smooches! (Of the ear holdin sort!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) That is a most proper seaglass holdin' vessel. I like it most seriously.

    2) I like how the "sea brick" (the reddish colored sea stones) and all the other colors are in the painting. I've always liked that painting, too, and wish I had a Uncle Francis-in-law to make me pretty paintings. Or like Springalings painting her dad did of the cotton field- love that, too. BTW, I did a little research into the "sea brick" (that's my little term for it) and it turns out that those little pieces of brick are probably from late 19th century/early 20th century buidlings from Baltimore. Isn't that groovy? You have some of Baltimore's architecture on your mantel.

    3) I forget what 3 was going to be with all my rambling on #2. Bah.

    ReplyDelete