Sunday, October 25, 2009

Mmm, Red Velvet Cake

Since my kids always have chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, I decided for my 36th birthday, it was time to try something new. So I turned to Cook's Illustrated (again) and pulled out this pretty little number. Red Velvet Cake. A true classic, even for us Northern transplants. It could win over any sane person, no matter how thick your blood might be.

Look! It's not a lopsided wonder! My first truly straight and even with no cutting cake. Phew.


Lot of thick cream cheese frosting held up by two very even layers! It can be done!


And two bottles of red food coloring later, VOILA! Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. Drool, or forever hold your peace.


Truly, it was moist and delicious. Sorry to make everyone so jealous. Ok, I'm not.

I got a grill for my birthday! Woohoooo! My current one flares up like a self-contained volcano. No kidding. The carcinogens in our systems are adding up exponentially with each meal. And since I do all the grilling (Shawn can't be trusted to arrive home ON TIME on any given day), it was a perfect present. Plus, Sarah wrote me a song about turning 36 (ouch) to the tune of "Don't You Want Me". Most amusing. All right, off to bed, I'm pooped and Izzy's whining like a banshee and frankly, I have no idea what she is saying, but it MUST be asking to go to bed, right?!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Oh My Gracious! Look at that cake! What's even more shocking than the even layers (and that is something to be proud of) is the amount of icing on top. That is quite amazing that the whole thing wasn't caving in the middle from the weight of all that sugar and cream cheese.

    A grill? Must see pictures. I've recently started to do a lot of the grilling too, but I haven't perfected the charcoal grill. We think the cheap briquets are the problem. I certainly couldn't be the problem.

    Nohows, Happy 36th! (I can barely say that number without choking.)

    ReplyDelete