Friday, June 20, 2008

Katy Masters The Pool

Katy, if you didn't know, used to be terrified of water. Literally. Terrified to the point that you could not get a DROP of water anywhere near her face. If you did get a drop in that vicinity, you were destined to endure blood-curdling screams of terror, some form of hyper-ventilation, and accusations of child abuse. "You're putting soap in my eye", "IT GOT ON ME, MOMMA" and "I, (sob) want, (sob) to get OOUUUUUTTTTTT!" were heard nightly from our residence. I'm sure her screams of terror brutalized many a passerby, wondering what kind of tortures were occurring in that big blue house. I admit it, I stopped making her take a shower or bath nightly, to save my own sanity. I became blind and deaf to the sounds of her cries, "I'm sorry dear, my ears don't work when you're screaming so loudly!" The more she fought, the less I listened. Don't like shampoo? Here, have a giant dollop, I'll wash it for you! Scream, scream,...scream scream....., la la la de da. Don't want to rinse, guess I'll have to hold you under the water myself if you won't get your head under there. Dum de dum, scream scream. I make light of it now, but let me tell you, it was torture--for both of us. The following picture shows how she feels about water now....

Yup, that's ole Dry Land Katy. Taking the plunge, ready to race across the pool with her opponent, Philip. I love the puffer-fish cheeks! She completed Level 2, and wants desperately to tackle Level 3, starting next week. I can hardly believe my eyes. (No balking) I can hardly believe my ears. (No screaming) Heck, I can hardly believe HER! (She's jumping in on purpose and LOVING it!)


Freestylin' across the pool


Climbing out


My girl, my stubborn, stubborn, girl, has just beaten her entire class across the pool. This time it was me who got a little teary. And it wasn't the shampoo. I'm very proud of you, Katy Jeanne. And thanks for not screaming in my ear.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment