Thursday, June 18, 2009

Off To Camp

Yesterday I drove Katy up to Live Oak, about two hours away, to the Episcopal Church camp, Camp Weed. Before you ask about how I could send my child to a camp with such a name, it was named after Bishop Weed. Anyway, she is gone for four days and three nights. She was a bit nervous but really excited too. I'm not worried about her, she's very good at making friends, very social etc. Within about five minutes of our arrival, a girl walked right up to her and said, "Hi, my name is Melody." Katy told her that her name was Katy. "Do you want to be friends?" she asked. "Oh yes," said Katy. And that was that. Fifteen minutes later, I showed Katy how to work the shower and she whispers, "I think that Melody did exactly what her mom told her to do!" I said, I think so too, didn't she do a great job? Katy said, "You were right, it was easy to make friends." I was like, well, I didn't think it was going to be THAT easy, but nice smart girls always find someone nice to play with. Katy just smiled... She was beaming from ear to ear when I left, had her bathing suit on, ready to go for her swimming skills check. I drove away, headed for my two hour return trip home. It was very quiet in that car! It's hard to believe she will be 9 in a couple weeks and she's going into fourth grade. Yikes!



Here's the bunk, she picked the bottom, just like at home!


Maybe I should try these signs at our house to cut down on the sand around here...


The view from her cabin...really beautiful property up there, huge live oaks, open expanse of grass...


Plates indicate who is on top and who is on bottom. When I left, no one had claimed the top bunk yet, but there was still time... Each cabin sleeps about 40 kids. I think there were about 15 kids when I left so I don't think it was going to be near full, but that just means better counselor to kid ratio. And speaking of counselors, Katy has the same counselor that Sarah had last year, Lucy. She was really sweet and Sarah liked her a lot. I recognized her right away and she remembered Sarah as a sweet girl. (How could she not, I was standing right there!?)

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, that looks like fun. I sure don't miss Camp, but looks like she will have a good time. That Melody sure has my vote! :) That camp name always makes me laugh. Can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, my word veri on that last one was salagri. Immediately made me think, "Bone-headed Salargi?" Heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post almost makes me want to make my kids grow up quicker. But, then again, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! She's getting to old! My sweet little KK. Have fun, Kai-Kai!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AArgh, I hate when I make silly grammatical mistakes. Pet peeve.

    "She's getting too old."

    There. I feel better now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete